jueves, 8 de diciembre de 2011

Británica se dirige al Polo Sur en expedición solitaria

Felicity Aston is a 33 year old explorer from Kent in south-east England embarking on a 1700km, 70-day ski in order to become the first woman in the world to cross Antarctica alone. By completing the journey Felicity will also be the first British woman to traverse Antarctica.

However, this journey is about more than records. The expedition aims to instil a spirit of adventure, aspiration and innovation as well as understand more about what motivates individuals to achieve. Follow Felicity's journey on Facebook and Twitter to share every step of the adventure.

CARACAS (AP) — El clima ventoso y el agrietado terreno han retrasado su expedición solitaria a través de la Antártida, dijo el martes la expedicionaria británica en una entrevista por teléfono satelital, pero espera alcanzar el Polo Sur dentro de dos semanas antes de dirigirse al otro lado del continente.

Felicity Aston intenta convertirse en la primera mujer en cruzar sola la Antártida.

En una entrevista con The Associated Press Aston, afirmó que ha esquiado hasta el momento unos 220 kilómetros (140 millas) y le quedan menos de 370 kilómetros (230 millas) por recorrer para alcanzar el polo.

"Con todo, estoy retrasada unos cinco días, pero todas estas cosas son relativas, así que todavía no es un desastre", señaló por teléfono satelital. "La visibilidad ha estado muy mala. Ha habido una gran cantidad de nieve alrededor. Pero hoy... Fue un buen día".

Señaló que los incesantes vientos han disminuido su ritmo, y también tomó un camino sinuoso para evitar grietas.

La mujer de 33 años partió el 25 de noviembre en un viaje de más de 1.700 kilómetros (1.000 millas) que esperaba le tomara unos 70 días.

Aston tenía la esperanza de llegar al Polo Sur para el 13 de diciembre, con motivo del centenario del logro del noruego Roald Amundsen, quien dirigió al primer equipo que alcanzó el polo.

Más de 30 equipos se dirigen hacia el Polo Sur este año a fin de intentar llegar a tiempo para celebrar el aniversario.

"Me voy a perder la fiesta", dijo Aston. "Sigue siendo bonito estar aquí en el 100mo aniversario".

Aston previamente pasó casi tres años como meteoróloga del British Antarctic Survey, y en 2009 encabezó un grupo de mujeres desde la costa hasta el Polo Sur.

"Me entrené y preparé tan bien como pude para lo que pensé sería la presión mental, pero ciertamente me tomó por sorpresa qué tan afectada estaba por estar sola", señaló.

Si tiene éxito, Aston se convertiría en la primera persona en cruzar la Antártida en solitario únicamente con la energía de sus músculos. El noruego Boerge Ousland hizo previamente un viaje de 64 días en 1997, pero aprovechó el viento cuando soplaba a su favor al atarse a un artefacto similar a un paracaídas.

Aston ha estado remolcando un trineo con sus provisiones y levantando cada noche su tienda, desde la que envía actualizaciones en Twitter.




Clothing

December 7

It is perhaps ironic that the key to keeping warm in Antarctica is keeping cool. If I wore one big warm jacket, as soon as I start skiing I’d quickly get too hot and start sweating. Sweat is dangerous at cold temperatures because as soon as I stop skiing, the moisture would make me cool down even quicker than usual and I could be more susceptible to cold injuries or hypothermia (which is when the body gets dangerously cold).

By wearing lots of layers, I can better regulate my temperature so that I stay warm but don’t overheat. It is perhaps surprising that I usually only need three layers – a thin thermal, a mid-weight fleece and a windproof jacket – but if the wind drops and the sun shines, I can often get away with just two.
The choice of outdoor clothing often comes down to personal preference and I have become quite picky! I like using merino wool thermals that are long in the body (so they don’t untuck themselves from my leggings when I stretch), have a zip at the neck (so I can vent if I get hot) and thumb loops in the sleeves (so that my wrists stay warm).
The choice of jacket is pretty crucial too – it has to be windproof and breathable but it also needs to be long (so that it protects my bum from the wind!) and have a big hood that will protect my face. When travelling in the Arctic I learnt the benefit of sewing a strip of fur around the edge of my jacket hood like the Inuit. The fur trim creates a little micro-climate around my face, away from the harsh polar wind. For this trip I have the warmest-looking ruff that I have ever seen –I was given it a few years ago and have been saving it for a special occasion!
On my bottom half I wear powerstretch trousers because they are easy, comfortable and warm (I sleep and ski in these) underneath pile and pertex salopettes. The salopettes have to have a drop seat to make going to the loo possible without getting completely undressed (!) and have zips right the way down the legs so that I can unzip and vent on hot days – but I use pile and pertex because I like the protection of the pile on my upper thighs which otherwise get blasted by the cold headwinds coming from the Pole.

De su página

No hay comentarios: